Thursday, April 19, 2012

Styling Iron Maiden and why BeautyChoice sucks.

The past couple of months I have been using two irons I bought at the same time. Now that I've had the chance to use them long enough to form an opinion on them I will share that opinion. Of the irons, one was a Hot Tools Deep Waver and the other was the Fahrenheit 4 in 1 Clipless Curling Iron Set that comes with 4 interchangeable barrels (1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1 1/4 inch, and 1 1/2 inch) 
First arrived the Fahrenheit 4 in 1 Clipless Curling Iron Set
Now let's just ignore the obviousness  of what it looks like and move on XD I-love-this-iron!
Pros:
It's lightweight, has a digital heat reader that shows the temperature as it reaches the set heat, it heats up very fast and goes up to 430 degrees Fahrenheit. It has + and - buttons for heat setting. It also has a "swivel" cord that I really couldn't care less about though because I never could see what was so great about them. The curls lasted (in varying degrees of looseness of course) until I washed my hair. Which is impressive since when I was 13 -14 I tried curling my hair all the time and it never stayed for more than an hour. My, how iron technology has progressed since those days lol. It comes with the heat resistant glove and I complained that it didn't work but that was because one of the first things I used this on was my wig (which requires the hair to be wet to style and got the glove wet) as long as the glove stays dry it works fine!
Cons:
 On the negative side it takes FOREVER to cool down and I'd like to put it away when I'm done using it but I can't for fear of burning myself. So it has to just sit out on the counter for at least 20 minutes before I can do anything about it. Another thing is that it is advertised as having 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch barrels but these two barrels are pretty much the same size the only difference is that one is slightly cone shaped so it's small at the end and larger at the base. That's a little misleading because, looking at the box, the barrels to the left (which are the 1/2" and 3/4" barrels) look to be entirely different sizes. Maybe if you wrap the entire curl around the base you'll get a  3/4" curl. These complaints are very minor when weighed against the pros though.
RATING: 5/5

Moving on to the Hot Tools Deep Waver.


Deep waves
PROS:
This has a dial temperature control and also heats up to 430 degrees. It gets hot very fast and has "cool tips" which is just a fancy way of saying you can place your hand at the end while it's waving to stabilize it without burning yourself. I can still feel the heat though and prefer not to do this. A very good feature this iron has is it's locking switch that keeps the plates closed so it takes up less space and is easier to store. The waves look nice and fairly natural if you break them up or you can leave them clumped together for more uniform waves. It lends a lot of body to the hair too! Perfect for quick "beachy waves". I still want a waver with smaller barrels but this'll be great for summer.
Cons:
The handle has ridges where you're supposed to grip underneath and is uncomfortable to hold. Other than the switch there's no way to tell if it's on or off, no little light no digital reader. I don't believe this has controlled temperatures which worries me. I set it at 360 and I feel like it just keeps getting hotter and hotter. I'm not as satisfied with this as I am with my curling iron but it's still a good iron if you're looking to get looser/deeper waves.
RATING: 31/2/5

Small BeautyChoice rant.
I was originally going to buy these through Beautyhoice(dot)com as I've seen positive reviews on products from the store. What I didn't realize is that most of these reviews were sponsored and didn't, at all, reflect their service but only the products they sold.  
After I sent them their payment and waited over a week I checked the status of my order, using the order number they sent me in an email, and it said it was "processing". I wrote them to ask what the hold up was only to have them write me back and tell me they were out stock! Seriously? First of all, they put items up "for sale" on their site that they KNOW they don't even have in stock. Then they don't even let you know after you pay that it's out of stock? No, the burden falls on you the customer, to check in on your order to see what's going on? Apparently they make a habit of doing this too if you look up reviews regarding un-sponsored transactions you'll see several people have had this issue. Many waiting much longer than I chose to.

I feel it's best to end on a positive note so I will say that after much waiting and back and fourth with costumer service I did get a full refund. The customer service people were also nice, no rude or condescending messages. That's pretty much the only saving grace of my Beautychoice(dot)com ordeal. In the end I got my money back and found both irons on Amazon for a better price anyway. It's still a crappy thing for them to do though and I'd rather have not spent those 3 weeks waiting for something I never got from them
 -_-

No comments:

Post a Comment