Thursday, December 30, 2010

Merry Christmas and family traditions.


MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!


Christmas eve....

Ah Christmas eve dinner! This may not look like much to a lot of people , but for me this means participating in an old family tradition.
You see, my mother's family has a bit of culinary history in Chicago, my great-grandfather (great-grandmother really though) was the founder of the original Lindy's restaurant which became most known for their chili (they were also voted best burger in Chicago at one point as well). In 1924 it had started when my great-grandmother wanted to buy a gas station and Lindy's was originally a gas station for a while. From what my mom knows, it seems like they were probably getting more money for the food they served than the gas, gas was pretty cheap in 20's, so they decided to make it into a restaurant. 

The original Lindy's on Archer


 My grandfather and great grandfather developed the recipe together and once it was done they sent it off to a lab to have more made up in bulk. At one point Del Monte wanted to can it and sell it, but my grandpa refused to sell it since they wouldn't put his name on it.(Lindy's is short for Lindeman, my Grandpa's surname) My grandfather owned that restaurant up until he and my grandma wanted to retire so they sold the business and moved out to Arizona. 


The business has since gone on the become a chain of restaurants merging with Gertie's Ice Cream. They even have a picture of my great-grandpa on their website! My mom remembered seeing it in the restaurant when she was little.

 After my grandpa sold the business he no longer had the first copy of the recipe however his good friend Bill still worked at the restaurant (my grandpa sold it under the condition that all the workers kept their jobs and a bunch of new people wouldn't be brought in to replace them) and he would send my grandpa the spice blend from time to time. So every year on Christmas eve they would have chili dogs made with the chili and have a little piece of Chicago in the kitchen. It does give me a good deal of pride when I heard people talk about how great this chili is knowing my grand parents were the creators, it's just nice to see that someone I knew in life made something that has made so many people happy, even if it just chili XD.

I remember the last year we spent with my grandpa we made the chili dogs and me and my sister helped his girlfriend make little cakes for dessert...I didn't like his girlfriend but it was a nice memory nonetheless. That was the last time I tasted real Lindy's chili and the last time I ever spent a holiday with any form of extended family. Even now I miss my grandpa terribly, especially around the holidays. Although I only knew him for about 3 years, they were 3 years filled with great memories.

    So if I am ever in the Chicago area I should really check it out...I wonder if I could get a discount if I can prove I am related to the founder. So yes, it was no Lindy's chili but being able to eat chili dogs with my family again has meant a lot to me :)

Any-who after dinner we got to open one present on Christmas eve and I chose this from my youngest brother.

Hubba hubba! lol he knows I like On The Waterfront better but that movie poster does little justice to Mr.Brando's ever handsome face.

My niece spent Christmas eve with her true love...the Wii lolXD

Christmas day...

From my mother I got a makeup case. I have been in dire need of this!



A ceramic crane tea light holder , it seems random but my mom recalled how I liked making cranes in grade school. I can't make them anymore ,very well anyway. So this was really sweet that she remembered that.

From my brother I got Versace Baby Rose Jeans perfume,a body mist set .


He also takes care of the stocking stuffers in which I also got fake nails and lashes from him he knows I like to make them over ,I sparkled them up quickly haha
I also made some Christmas nails but in wearing them I came to realize how difficult it is to take pictures of your own nails XD



From my youngest brother I got Versace Red Jeans and some movies that were childhood favorites like Casper and The Secret Garden, movies I probably wouldn't have thought to buy for myself. I am also pretty sure he is the one that put the Itunes gift card in my stocking.





Oh yeah, and my stocking was stuffed good this year , the letters in my name finally cracked!

Soon we'll have to take down the decorations and go back to undecked halls :( But for now I am still enjoying the holiday season.


I really hope anyone who reads this had as merry a Christmas as I did and an even better new year! 



No comments:

Post a Comment